By Nicole Tinkham
Ever wonder how certain people get so much done in a day when you can barely handle one task on top of everything else on your plate? No, these people aren’t magical genies. They just know how to get organized and focused. They know how to block out distractions and prioritize so they get the most important things done first even if they don’t feel like doing them. It goes way beyond creating to-do lists, although that is a step in the right direction. In this post we’ll explain 10 quick tips to actually taking action and getting more done, all of which you can begin today!
1. Make a list – you won’t remember everything (even if you think you will).
Tip: Use your smartphone for this so you always have your list available.
2. Plan your day out – Think about what you want to accomplish ahead of time. Create your to-do list either the night before or first thing in the morning before starting your day.
3. Only worry about the most important tasks of the day and get those things done first. Everything else can wait if you don’t have time to fit them in.
4. Keep your end goal in mind – this will push you to get those not so fun tasks done.
5. Schedule time in your day to complete the important things and actually set a timer when you get to work.
Tip: Get super focused for about 45 minutes on one task then take a little break and walk away from it.
6. Get rid of distractions. Turn off your phone and make it clear to your friends and family that you are in work mode.
7. Have a positive mindset – Instead of saying “I wish I had time to do this” tell yourself “I will make time for this”. When a negative thought enters your mind, replace it with a positive one.
8. Always move forward even if you have to take baby steps. No task is too small if it’s moving you toward your goals.
9. Don’t overwhelm yourself with a long list. Keep it short.
So often we overcomplicate things in life. One 5 minute task that we don’t want to do could seem like it takes hours to complete. And it could if you let it! They key is to get focused on the most important tasks and not let distractions get in your way. Get the things you don’t like doing out of the way first so you don’t procrastinate all day on them and end up not doing them at all. Remember to get the dirty work done first so you can play in the art studio later!
Tell us, how have these 9 quick tips helped you get more done?