By Nicole Tinkham
You don’t have to be an artist to be struggling with your belief and confidence but we know many artists who do. It’s not easy being an artist (we’ve written a whole blog on it here) with exposing your creativity to the world, a world who doesn’t all understand what it means to be an artist. There’s a constant battle of ups and downs, feeling like you’re just not cut out to be an artist then selling a major piece. No matter what area in life it is, it’s extremely easy to let the beliefs of others soak into your own mind leaving you to think you’re just not worthy. We are determined though to get your belief back in both yourself and your artwork! Read on for 9 things you can start doing today to boost your confidence.
1. Get in the right mindset – You need to change those negative beliefs into positive ones. Here’s a simple exercise to help you do it. Write down your negative beliefs, all of them! Just jot them down in your notebook. Now ask yourself if these beliefs are true. If you think they are, what is your evidence? If you don’t have any, that means the belief is false and you need to cross it off your list. Literally, draw a line through each one. Now it’s time to turn that negative belief into a positive one. Here’s an example.
No one likes my artwork.
I have a following of people who love my artwork.
We know that just writing out the positive belief won’t change everything overnight. That’s why you must read your list of positive beliefs every single day. Don’t stop looking them over because this works! The more you read them, the more you’ll start believing in them.
2. Focus on the process, not the failure. Failure is the top reason for insecurities. We often take failure to heart and are fearful of making the same mistakes in the future. But if we shift our mindset and start looking at mistakes as opportunities to grow, we are more willing to try new things. Your career as an artist is a process. Believing in you is a process as well. Give it time and continue to move forward no matter what.
3. You are the expert of your own artwork – Maybe you’re feeling insecure and think you don’t know as much as some more experienced artists. First of all, you will get there with time and practice. Also remember that no one knows your artwork better than you. This is where you are truly the expert. You have all the answers and people can’t question it because it’s your creation. You can’t be wrong here! Feeling a little more confident about it now?
4. Test yourself and see what you can really do – Get out of your comfort zone and do something different and a little scary. This will not only improve your skills but it also makes those other scary things not seem so bad. It’s like having a fear of heights and deciding to go skydiving. Now climbing a ladder won’t seem half as bad! You are capable of so much but you’ll never realize it until you try new things.
5. Success partner – Having a success partner to help you get through your struggles and to help push you to greater heights has got to be the greatest support system you can have. They’ll be there to work through the problems, help you get over your fears, and reach your goals. Learn how you can find a success partner here.
6. Don’t compare yourself to other artists – Always look to other artists for inspiration, not comparison! Everyone is on their own journey and at a different stage of the process. Comparing yourself to others can be a very dangerous thing and it’s easy to start feeling very down on yourself by doing so. Realize that you’re on your own path and you’ll get to where you want to go if you keep focused on your own journey.
7. Read self development books. These will help you get your mind right and become a more positive, happy, and confident person. It doesn’t matter which book you decide to read as long as you’re flooding your mind with positive thoughts. The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz is a great one to start with. Also treat your body well by eating healthy and being active. It helps you feel better all around.
8. Hang around people who you aspire to be like – They say your personality turns into the 5 people you spend the most time with and we couldn’t agree more! If you have toxic friends who aren’t trying to do any better with their lives, you need to start hanging around people who lift you up and who inspire you to be a better person. The negative people in your life will only want to bring you down with them. Be selective with who you spend your time with and you’ll quickly start picking up some positive habits which will lift your spirit.
9. Practice often – So much improvement can happen simply by practicing often! If you’re nervous about sharing or talking about your artwork to others, just start talking about it to everyone! We know it’s a scary thing but it’s the best way to get better at it. It does get easier once you make that leap.
Your success starts with your belief in yourself. Whatever you believe about yourself, you are right. So if you believe that you’ll never sell any of your artwork, you never will. But if you know in your heart that you were born for greatness and that you can make your dreams come true, you will be a huge success. With all the negativity in the world, it’s not an easy task but if you implement these 9 ways to believe in yourself and your artwork, you’ll get there and you can make incredible things happen.