By Nicole Tinkham
If the reason you haven’t turned your passion for art into a career yet is because you don’t think you could make it as an artist, think again! You don’t have to do the scary task of quitting your day job to become your own boss as an artist. You can take a different route and still use your creative skills in a job that leaves you feeling fulfilled and happy. The following list of 25 art careers take a different spin on the typical painter or other art profession you have in mind. Some of these are out of the box but you may be surprised how well they align with your interests and skills. For example, you may have never thought twice about interior design but if you have an eye for color and placement it could be just the career for you. If you want to make art a full time part of your life, read on for 25 brilliant ideas that you need to consider.
1. Writer – Gets creative with words in stories, poems, screenplays, and more
2. Interior Designer – Beautifies indoor spaces
3. Art Teacher – Teaches skills in universities or art workshops
4. Art Appraiser – Determines the value of artwork
5. Art Gallery Manager – Ensures that those who come into the gallery are looked after and oversee installations and exhibits
6. Caricature Artist – Cartooning for parties and events
7. Fashion Designer – Designs beautiful clothing
8. Cake Decorator – Creates edible works of art
9. Actor/singer – Let your talents shine!
10. Set Designer – Prepares the stage for theater productions
11. Museum Curator – Organizes exhibits at museums
12. Tattoo Artist – Applies artwork in the form of a tattoo
13. Lighting Designer – Creates lighting effects for production
14. Restoration Artist – Brings back the original look of an old piece of artwork
15. Landscape Artist – Designs the layout of plants in outdoor spaces
16. Architect – The art and science behind designing buildings
17. Product Designer – Designs the look of different products
18. Medical Illustrator – Illustrations for medical journals and textbooks
19. Muralist – Creates large scale paintings on buildings
20. Screen Printing – Creates designs on clothing using a screen and ink or paint
21. Textile Design – Designs the look of different fabrics
22. Florist – Arranges flowers and plants
23. Musician – Creates art for the ears
24. Glass Blower – Shapes blobs of molten glass into vessels and shapes
25. Woodworking – Creates artwork and functional pieces out of wood
Of course, doing your own thing as an artist and working for yourself is the perfect alternative to working for someone else. We love the idea and if it’s in your heart, we say go for it! But this list of 25 art careers may be the ideal stepping stone if you aren’t quite ready to be your own boss. Or it may help you discover exactly what you want to do. Whatever the case may be, the important thing is that you’re happy. Look over this list, consider some different options, then do your research and see if these would be a good fit for you.
Tell us, which of these 25 art careers stands out to you? Have something to add to the list? Just let us know in the comments!