By Nicole Tinkham
If you’re feeling less than enthusiastic about your next still life project or it’s just taking you forever to get started on it, you have got to make a change! Any project that you set out to do should be exciting and fun. You should be kept up at night just so anxious to get started working on it. If you’re doing the same still life paintings and drawings over and over again, it can be so easy to push off the project and never really give it your all when you do decide to work on it. To make your artwork more exciting, we asked artists over on our Facebook page what types of objects they love to use in a still life project to give you a few new ideas. Of course you aren’t limited to these 11 objects but it’s a great place to start if you’ve never worked with them before. Oh and we have some bonus tips at the end that you’ll want to take a look at too 🙂 Let’s get started!
1. Old fashion cans of tomatoes
2. Fresh veggies from the garden with bright colors
3. Tea cups and teapot
5. Candles for light source
10. Flowers in old containers, vase, or basket
• Choose items with various heights and texture
• Look for items with color and reflections
• Always work with objects you can get excited about
• Play around with positioning and lighting
• Take a few photos of different angles first to get the perfect composition
• Just get started – it doesn’t have to be perfect!
• Pick objects that are new and different to you
Still life paintings and drawings don’t have to be boring! Find unique items that are colorful and different. Let them speak to you and give the artwork meaning. Play around with different objects. Find the most random item possible and include that! Just get started and have fun with it.
Tell us, what objects do YOU like using for your still life projects?