By Nicole Tinkham
Getting ready for the New Year doesn’t have to be crazy and overwhelming with serious goals and planning. It’s great to have some goals laid out, an idea of where you want to be by the end of the year, and to get organized too. But we also think it’s important to HAVE FUN!! On this list of 10 things every artist needs to do for the New Year, you’ll notice that something fun is included in more than half of the tasks on the list. And if you find a daunting task you don’t want to do, turn it into a game or reward yourself for completing it!
• Have a new sketchbook ready to go (open it up every day!)
• Get organized for peace of mind
• Make a list of things you want to learn – Plan to attend an art workshop, save YouTube videos, buy a new art book, or subscribe to an art magazine
• Plan something fun – we all need a break. Plan a vacation at some point next year or even a staycation if you have nowhere to go
• Have your goal and action plan written down
• Plan regular friend and family time! It’s easy to get so wrapped up in our own little world that we forget to spend time with the ones we love
• Have an open mind – Do something wild, crazy, unexpected, out of the norm, and anything that takes you out of your comfort zone
• Buy fun colored Post-it Notes to write yourself positive notes and reminders
• Change up your art room for creative inspiration and more room for new supplies 🙂
• Get your artist portfolio in line
We believe that having fun is the best way to start the New Year, wouldn’t you agree? Doing something you enjoy is easier to stick with than something you don’t. Start doing some of the things on this list, have fun with it, and don’t stress about starting a new year. Tell us, will you follow this checklist when heading into the New Year?